Skip to main content

Education, Health and Care Plans

Information, Advice and Support Service (IAS)

The Information, Advice and Support (IAS) Service for Windsor and Maidenhead is a statutory service. The IAS Service provides free, impartial and confidential information, advice and support to children and young people with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND) up to age 25, and their parents/carers.  We can help whether you receive education within the borough or elsewhere, but you need to be resident in the Royal Borough to access our service. A child/young person does not need a formal diagnosis, we can help if you feel there is a Special Educational Need.

The Information, Advice and Support Service for Windsor and Maidenhead provides:

  • A free and confidential service provided at “arms length” from education, health and care providers
  • Impartial information, advice and support on matters relating to education, heath and social care where there is a special educational need or disability
  • Advice and support from independently trained Information, Advice and Support Service staff
  • Support through statutory processes relating to Education Health Care (EHC) Needs Assessments and planning
  • Information and practical support to find answers to your questions

We can support you by:

  • Listening to your views and your concerns
  • Helping you to feel more confident to express your views
  •  Explaining your options, rights and responsibilities
  • Helping with forms, letters and reports
  • Helping prepare for meetings and/or attending meetings with you
  • Answering your questions about Educational Health Care Needs assessments and EHC Plans.
  • Supporting you through a Needs Assessment or Annual Review
  • Helping you to resolve disagreements


Education, Health and Care (EHC) Plans – specific support

We can talk you through the steps of the requesting an EHC Needs Assessment and answer any questions you may have.  We can also support you though the process by offering appointments to review your contributions to the EHC Needs Assessment or creating a child/young person’s profile. We can also offer support and guidance if you are not satisfied with a decision made about whether to carry out an EHC Needs Assessment or decisions made during/after the assessment process. This may include supporting you in discussions with the Local Authority, accessing mediation or appealing to the SEND Tribunal.

Additionally we are supporting a two year programme of Independent Support, together with our delivery partner Adviza.

This is a programme that can offer information and support to parents and young people going through the Education, Health and Care Needs Assessment process.‚Äč


Telephone: 01628 683182


Main website 

Address: Riverside Children's Centre, West Dean, Maidenhead, Berkshire, SL6 7JB

(Office is open Monday - Friday 09:30 - 16:30 Term Time Only)

Our Service is based within Riverside Children's Centre which is fully accessible and has an accessible toilet.
We can also arrange to meet clients in their home or other suitable venue if it is more convenient for a client.

Our Service is for any child or young person, and their parent/carer that lives within the RBWM Local Authority. If you or your child/young person attends a school within RBWM but you live elsewhere, you must contact that IAS Service for advice and support.

Ideally, due to our impartiality and confidentiality, we prefer to recieve self referrals directly from parents.
However we accept that there are situations where it may be more convenient/appropriate for a professional to refer someone to our service.
In this instance, we will only accept contact details from a professional once it is confirmed that they have spoken to the client and gained permission to do so.