Skip to main content


SEND Transport

Transport can be an important factor in the support for children and young people with special educational needs and disabilities. You can find information in this section about travel assistance to school or college and the Local Authority policies on this as well as, community transport and national and local schemes to assist with with travel costs.

RBWM School Transport  (opens an external link)

The Royal Borough of Windsor and Maidenhead's along with Achieving for Children travel assistance arrangements including those for children and young people with special educational needs and disabilities (SEND) can be found in the following policy documents. These travel arrangements apply to children and young people attending a school, a post-16 institution or a training provision.

General Enquiries - Transport Team


Telephone: 01628 683800

SEND Home to School Transport 

The Council and AfC are committed to meeting the educational needs of as many children and young people as possible within local schools.  In most cases, this will mean that children and young people can walk or cycle to school with their parents or carers.  The Home to School Transport Policy sets out how we will help the small number of children and young people who find it difficult to travel to school without some assistance. This includes the policy for pre and post 16 SEND Transport. 

Documents can be found at the bottom of the Home to School Transport page (opens a link to the Council website)

SEND Transport Appeals

If you are unhappy with the decision which you have received from the AfC SEND Transport team, in the first instance you should get in touch with the team again to see if a senior officer is able to do anything else to help resolve your concerns (this is stage 1 of the appeals procedure).  

School Transport Appeals (opens external website)

Bus passes and companion bus passes

If you have a registered disability you are entitled to a national bus pass which allows you to enjoy free off-peak travel on local bus services anywhere in England.

A Companion Bus Pass is available to RBWM residents who are unable to travel by bus without assistance. This allows them to be accompanied by a person who will travel for free of charge, subject to restrictions.

For information on these schemes and their eligibility criteria, please go to the RBWM website or contact the Maidenhead or Windsor Library on 01628 796969 or email


Disabled Person's Railcard

If you have a disability that makes travelling by train difficult you might qualify for the Disabled Person's Railcard. If you’re eligible you can get up to a third off rail tickets for you and your companion. You must provide evidence of a relevant disability.

Are you eligible? You may qualify if you:

  • Receive disability-related benefits, including Personal Independence Payments
  • Are registered as deaf or use a hearing aid
  • Are registered as visually impaired
  • Have epilepsy

Disabled Person's Railcard


Disabled Parking - Blue Badge Scheme

Blue parking badges allow cars carrying people who are registered disabled i.e. blind or people who have severe walking difficulties to be parked near shops, stations, hospitals and other facilities. You can find out more information  about eligibilty and how to apply online on the Royal Borough website or by calling 01628 683133. Blue badge holders can also apply for disabled parking bays (links to the Royal Borough website)

Useful links

Access to work grant (which may include transport costs)

16-19 Bursary Fund (to help with education and transport costs if you’re aged 16 to 19 and in school, college or training.)

Motability Can help with the lease of a car if you are eligible (opens external website)

People to Places  supporting people with SEN and disabilities to get out and about in their local communities including the Travel Assistance Payment Scheme (TAPS) for a Dial A Ride Service.