Skip to main content

Preparing for Adulthood (PfA) and Employment

Help with your care needs

When a young person reaches the age of 18 the responsibility for providing social care support transfers from the Royal Borough of Windsor and Maidenhead's Children's Services to Adult Services.

The eligibility criteria for Adult Services is not the same as the criteria for Children’s Services. This could mean that you may no longer be eligible for the same services or that different services may be more suitable for you.

You can find information about the eligibility criteria for Adult Social Care  on the Optalis website.   If you are not eligible for Adult Services, you will be given information about other sources of support and advice.

Some young people with special educational needs and disabilities will continue to require services and support as adults to help meet your care needs and to enable you to have the same opportunities as other young people of the same age.


A young person with an Education, Health and Care (EHC) Plan will begin to discuss the help you will need as an adult at your Annual Review meeting when you are 14 years old (Year 9).

The Annual Review is organised by the school and will plan the support to meet your social care and health needs as you move towards adulthood.  If you do not have an EHC Plan you will still receive transition support from your school and other services during this time.

Between the ages of 14-17 years, the Children and Young People Disability Service will let Adult Social Care Services know of young people who are likely to need support as an adult. An adult assessment (Transition Assessment) will then be carried out when you are 17- 17½ years old by the allocated worker from Adult Social Care to look at your eligible needs and the support you may need in the future. 

This may also involve a carer’s assessment (Optalis website) to help ensure your parents/carers also receive the right advice, guidance and support.

The Children and Young People Disability Service also works jointly with Adult Services to make any applications to Adult Continuing Health Care (CHC) if you have continuing health needs when you are 17 years old. The criteria for Adult Continuing Health Care is different from Children’s Continuing Care. 

If you are eligible for Adult Social Care services, a financial assessment will also be completed. You may have to pay a contribution for Adult care and support as this is subject to means testing and charging.  

If you qualify for support, Adult Services will look at an appropriate package of care that will meet your needs.  You may be allocated an amount of money called a personal budget to spend on your care and support in the community. 

If it's more appropriate for your needs, Adult Services may also provide and arrange services for you, for example, in arranging a Support Worker to assist you. 

A Support Plan for Adult Social Care will be developed jointly with you and your family and put into place.  If you are aged 18 or over and continue to have an Education, Health and Care (EHC) Plan because you are remaining in education or are undertaking an apprenticeship and you make the move to Adult Social Care Services, the support plan is also recorded in the ‘care’ section of your EHC Plan.  This will remain in place until your EHC Plan ceases or you reach the age of 25.  The Support Plan or EHC Plan will be reviewed at least annually to ensure it is continuing to meet your needs and to look at how your outcomes are changing.

Young people can also use Transition Journals as a way of providing important information to Social Workers in Adult Social Care. A Transition Journal is a document all about the young person and their needs and how to help them best.