Skip to main content

Preparing for Adulthood (PfA) and Employment

Equipment, aids and adaptations - PfA

You may need help to live at home by having adaptations made to your home or having specialist aids and equipment.  

The Occupational Therapist in the Children and Young People Disability Service  can advise families with children and young people with disabilities under the age of 18 on home adaptations and equipment to support daily living activities.  The Children and Young People Disability Service would then refer the young person to the appropriate Adult Social Care Team at the age of 18. 

Adults over the age of 18 can also request an assessment about any support you might need to live independently by calling the Adult Advice and Information Team on 01628 683744 or email 

If you need larger home adaptations you might be able to apply for a Disabled Facilities Grants (DFG).  This is for adaptations such as widening doors and installing ramps, stair lifts, and access to bathroom facilities if appropriate.  Grants are means tested to target the funding to those who need the most financial help.  There is more information here on Disabled Facilities Grants.

The Optalis website also has more information about equipment, adaptations and practical support. ‚Äč(external website)

Further information

The below information links to external websites