Skip to main content

Preparing for Adulthood (PfA) and Employment

Preparing for Adulthood and Transition - information for parents and carers

The Transition stage can include, depending on individual circumstances:

  • transition from children’s to adult specialist services
  • transition from school to FE College, higher education or employment, training or apprenticeship 
  • transition from college or training to employment and or adult services
  • transition from paediatric to adult health services 
  • transition from living at home to supported accommodation and 
  • leaving care.
  • Transition planning usually begins in Year 9 (the school year in which a child has their 14th birthday).      
  • The “Preparing for Adulthood” process is when professionals will consult with you and your son or daughter to consider if they may need specialist support during transition and into adulthood from the age of 18 years.
  • Other young people may need specialist health support including therapeutic input, continuing healthcare or specialist community health services.
  • If a young person has an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP) they may need support in education which will be discussed and reviewed during transition. The EHCP can be maintained until the young person is 25 years old.
 Adult Social Care

Young people transferring from children's social care services to adult social care services will come under the care of adult social care team in the borough where they live.