Skip to main content

Transport assistance schemes and information

There are various schemes that can support you with travel, such as blue badge parking permits, Dial-a-Ride and companion bus passes. 

Blue Badge

Blue Badges help people with disabilities or health conditions park closer to their destination.

The Blue Badge is associated with the disabled person rather than a specific vehicle. This means you can use the Blue Badge in any car where the badge holder is passenger or driver.

People who automatically get a Blue Badge

Your child will qualify for a Blue Badge automatically if they are aged three or over and at least one of the following applies:

  • they receive the higher rate of the mobility component of the Disability Living Allowance (DLA)
  • they are registered blind

A young person over the age of 16 will qualify for a Blue Badge automatically if at least one of the following applies: 

  • they receive the higher rate of the mobility component of the Disability Living Allowance (DLA)
  • they are registered blind
  • they receive a War Pensioners’ Mobility Supplement
  • they have received a lump sum benefit within tariff levels 1 to 8 of the Armed Forces and Reserve Forces (Compensation) Scheme and have been certified as having a permanent and substantial disability that causes inability to walk or very considerable difficulty in walking
  • they receive a Personal Independence Payment (PIP) because they can’t walk more than 50 metres (a score of 8 points or more under the ‘moving around’ activity of the mobility component)
  • they receive the mobility component of PIP and have obtained 10 points specifically for descriptor E under the ‘planning and following journeys’ activity, on the grounds that they are unable to undertake any journey because it would cause them overwhelming psychological distress

If they have any score other than 10 points under descriptor E, in the ‘planning and following journeys’ activity of PIP they may still be eligible for a Blue Badge, but they do not automatically qualify. This includes if they have a higher score of 12. They will have to provide evidence to demonstrate eligibility which will be assessed as part of the application.

People who may get a Blue Badge

A young person may qualify if the local authority decides that one of the following applies: 

They are under two and: 

  • have a medical condition that means they always need to be accompanied by bulky medical equipment 
  • have a medical condition that means they must always be kept near a vehicle in case they need emergency medical treatment

They are aged three or over and:

  • they are unable to walk 
  • they cannot walk without help from someone else or using mobility aids
  • they find walking very difficult due to pain, breathlessness or the time it takes
  • walking is dangerous to their health and safety
  • they have a life limiting illness, which means they cannot walk or find walking very difficult and have a SR1 form
  • they are constantly a significant risk to themselves or others near vehicles, in traffic or car parks
  • they struggle severely to plan or follow a journey
  • they find it difficult or impossible to control their actions and lack awareness of the impact they could have on others
  • they regularly have intense and overwhelming responses to situations causing temporary loss of behavioural control
  • they frequently become extremely anxious or fearful of public/open spaces

They drive regularly but, due to a severe disability in both arms, have great difficulty using all parking meters.

The local authority will determine eligibility for a badge. The local authority cannot start the assessment process until they have all the necessary evidence. It may take 12 weeks or longer to assess the application. If the local authority decides that a person is not eligible and the person thinks that they did not take account of all the facts, the applicant can ask the local authority to reconsider the application. 

Royal Borough of Windsor and Maidenhead (RBWM) Blue Badge

Bus passes and companion bus passes

If you have a registered disability you are entitled to a national bus pass which allows you to enjoy free off-peak travel on local bus services anywhere in England.

A companion bus pass is available to RBWM residents who are unable to travel by bus without assistance. This allows them to be accompanied by a person who will travel for free of charge, subject to restrictions.

For information on these schemes and to apply please go to the RBWM Council website 

Other help with transport

Disabled Person's Railcard if you receive disability-related benefits, are registered as deaf or use a hearing aid, are registered as visually impaired or have epilepsy. You must provide evidence of a relevant disability. 

Access to work grant which may include transport costs

16-19 Bursary Fund to help with education and transport costs if you’re aged 16 to 19 and in school, college or training

Healthcare Travel Costs Scheme: if you're referred to hospital or other NHS premises for specialist NHS treatment or diagnostic tests by a doctor, dentist or another primary care health professional, you may be able to claim a refund of reasonable travel costs. The website explains who's eligible for the scheme and how to make a claim.

Motability Can help with the lease of a car if you are eligible

People to Places supports people with SEN and disabilities to get out and about in their local communities including the Travel Assistance Payment Scheme (TAPS) for a Dial A Ride Service