Skip to main content

Social Care

Social Workers

The Royal Borough of Windsor and Maidenhead's Children and Young People Disability Service (CYPDS) supports the social care needs of children and young people aged 0-18.  Social Workers within the service work with families with children and young people with special educational needs and disabilities who may need additional help and support at different times.  The CYPDS works within the Multi-Agency Threshold Guidance 2014 issued by Windsor and Maidenhead’s Local Safeguarding Children Board.

Following a referral, it may be necessary to allocate a Social Worker to complete a Single Assessment to pull together all the relevant information and professionals involved with the family. From this assessment, a decision will be made about how best to support the child/young person and their family.

Support from Social Workers is focused in the following areas:

  • Social Workers in the service hold the statutory responsibility for investigating any child protection concerns which may arise. Child Protection enquiries assess whether children and young people are at risk or likely to be at risk of significant harm. This can result in a child or young person having a child protection plan.
  • Social Workers are responsible for children and young people in care. Children and young people in care may be placed with fosters carers or live in residential placements. Social Workers undertake statutory duties for children in care which include regular visits and review meetings. Children in care are also supported by an Independent Reviewing Officer.
  • Some children or young people will be supported by a Social Worker as a ‘Child in Need’. This involves putting in place early interventions to support the family through any difficulties so that these don't reach a crisis point.
Referral for Social Work Services from the Children and Young People Disability Service

Please note that following the establishment of the Multi-Agency Safeguarding Hub (MASH), the referral process into the Children and Young People Disability Service has changed.

If you have a safeguarding concern and would like to make a new referral for services, further information and request forms for the MASH are available on the RBWM Safeguarding Partnership - Early Help and Prevention section

Note that if you would like to make a request for an Education, Health and Care (EHC) needs assessment, the referral route is directly to the Children and Young People Disability Service