Skip to main content

Social Care

Support for Carers and Young Carers

Support for Carers

Having a child with special educational needs/disabilities can bring additional responsibilities for parents and carers.   RBWM's Children and Young People Disability Service works with families to explore parents and carers needs in an holistic manner, when assessing the needs of the child/young person.   Parents and carers are also entitled to a Carer’s Assessment which will look at how being a carer impacts on your daily life. 

‚ÄčSupport for Young Carers

If you have a brother or sister who has a special educational need or disability, this may mean that your parents/carers need to spend more time with them, to support them with every day tasks like dressing, feeding or giving medication. Also, you might need to give practical help yourself to your brother or sister.  You may also be giving emotional support to both your sibling and your parents.

If this is the case, then you can get support in your own right as a young carer.

This can include:

  • A young carer’s assessment  where you will sit down with a worker from RBWM's Children and Young People Disability Service to look at what kind of help you and your family need and how services can support you.
  • Attending activities and receiving support from Family Action's Young Carers Service.
  • A number of local voluntary groups and centres also support siblings of children and young people with disabilities such as Camp Mohawk and Thames Valley Adventure Playground.