Skip to main content

Children and Young People, Disability Service (CYPDS)

Children and Young People, Disability Service (CYPDS)

You can visit our Who Do I Need to Talk To section to speak to our SEND Team

The Children and Young People’s Disability Service (CYPDS) works with children and young people with special educational needs and disabilities (SEND) aged 0-25 years, and their families to provide assessments and support for Education, Health and Care Plans.  CYPDS also provides social care guidance and support. CYPDS is part of Achieving for Children which has been providing services for The Royal Borough of Windsor and Maidenhead since August 2017.

The Service has a range of professionals who support the following functions:

Education, Health and Care Plans

  • Assessment and coordination of education, health and care needs which may result in an Education, Health and Care (EHC) Plan for children and young people aged 0-25 years.  

  • Oversight and coordination of changes to the EHC Plan as a result of annual reviews.

  • For more information or to request an EHC assessment please email or contact 01628 685878.

Preparing  for Adulthood’ (PfA)

  • PfA supports the development of young people's life skills in relation to employment, health, community inclusion and independent living as they move towards  adulthood.

Social Care support for children and young people with disabilities

For more information on eligibility criteria click in

  • Social Care supports and safeguards children and young people up to the age of 18 with a disability or special educational needs (or 25 years with an EHC plan).

  • Adult Social Care - An adult aged 18 - 25 years who has an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP), will be open to the Children and Young People Disability Service and will be assessed as to whether they require social care support through an Adult Social Care Assessment.  If an adult does not have an EHCP (no longer in education), they will be referred to Adult Services.

  • Occupational Therapy a service to disabled children, young adults, their carers and families. An OT undertakes a functional assessment in the child's or young adult home environment, identifying their needs and planning with the child,young adult and family how best these needs can be met. This might include provision of daily living equipment and/or recommended housing adaptations. Self-referrals can be made to the single point of access.

  • Leaving care service - Aims for a smoother transfer of children in care of the Local Authority’s journey to adult services and more effective planning mechanisms in providing real and appropriate opportunities and choices towards adulthood until the age of 25.

  • Short Break services to give children and young people aged 0-18 enjoyable experiences and offer parents and carers a break from caring.

  • Local Offer - Maintaining and reviewing the SEND Local Offer website so that families know which services are available and how to access them. Any feedback to improve the website, please contact:

Eligibility Criteria

Our guiding principles for eligibility criteria are:

  • transparency and openness
  • fairness - different pathways targeting different groups
  • equality - balancing the needs of those most in need with those who are not, giving special consideration to those eligible for free school meals or Pupil Premium Grant
  • ensuring quality and diverse provision, reaching more children than previously
  • equitable access for children and young people, - we will take into account access to other support or overnight care and prioritise children and young people who have less access to support and services

Families will need to meet the eligibility criteria detailed below.

One or more of the following statements must apply:

  •  complex health needs and/or life limiting conditions
  • complex learning needs
  • occupational therapy needs within the home setting
  • severe communication difficulties or behavioural difficulties relating to the child’s disabilities
  • legal duty to investigate child protection concerns

In order to establish whether a child or young person has an assessed need, a social worker or family worker will carry out an assessment. An assessment can be requested via a referral from the SPA (Single Point of Access), by a parent or carer, or by a professional.


Contact details and Single Point Access

Any Safeguarding concerns or requests for social care please contact the Single Point of Access  (Multi Agency Safeguarding Hub) directly on 01628 683150.

You should send requests with attachments to the following address: 

General Contact: 

Address: CYPDS, c/o Achieving for Children, Town Hall,  St Ives Road Maidenhead, Berkshire, SL6 1RF


Find out who you need to talk to here